There is no time like the present as they say. I have mixed feelings as we approach October – the final quarter in the year and the gateway to the holiday season. I find it a positive time for reflection as we evaluate our year to date and ask ourselves if 2014 has been what we hoped it would be.
I can’t help but consider this time of year pivotal – the very apparent shift in the seasons mirrors my internal shift in consciousness. I mark my year to date progress against my January intentions and begin to think of new the year ahead (yes, already)! Remember to be kind to yourself when looking back on your year so far. So often we do not acknowledge the great work we have done and the accomplishments we have achieved over a short time. Savour these and allow them to fuel and inspire more.
In the spirit of contemplation and timing — here are 10 quotes I love to refer to from some of the greatest leaders, teachers and artists who have ever lived. These are for you to refer this season when you need a little inspiration in taking action to create the life you want this year. 3 months is a good, solid time for the determined and the disciplined.
Why wait until the next invitation for resolutions rolls around? Let these wise words inspire you to get started:
1. “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.”– Walt Disney
2. “The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is today.” – Chinese Proverb
3. “Nothing will work unless you do.” — Maya Angelou
4. “The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers. But above all, the world needs dreamers who do.” — Sarah Ban Breathnach
5. “Action is the foundational key to all success.” — Pablo Picasso
6. “Action may not always bring happiness. But there is no happiness without action.” — Benjamin Disraeli
7. “A real decision is measured by the fact that you have taken an action. If there’s no action, you haven’t truly decided.” — Anthony Robbins
8. “Let him who would enjoy a good future waste none of his present.” — Roger Babson
9. “In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.” — Theodore Roosevelt
And my favourite:
10. “Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic within it.” — Goethe
Your action or small step forward does not have to be radical. What is one small thing you can to today that is aligned with your goals? What is another you can do by end of the week? Small accomplishments lead to big accomplishments. A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting! We are what we consistently do and whatever it may be that you want to begin – a savings plan, an entrepreneurial venture, a healthier lifestyle, online dating or an educational course that excites you… a year from now, you’ll wish you started today.
What words most motivate you to get started?